Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Nesting

It seems most of the physical stuff is finished. Funny as I type that my mind starts running over a list of things I want to do or buy that will somehow make me feel "ready". It is a nesting thing I find it interesting to reflect back on how my nesting habits have evolved.
With our first daughter it was pretty simple and short. I just washed and organized dozens of baby cloths from simple onesies to boutique dresses. I did other little things like bought paper plates so I wouldn't have to worry about dishes for the first few weeks.
International Adoption brought nesting to a whole new level. The idea of taking care of an infant in a developing country sent me into a organizing frenzy. I can remember having all of my goods separated into Rubbermaid containers in a spare bedroom and visiting them each night refolding and organizing. I can also remember falling to my knees in prayer in that room after learning our baby girl was fighting a sepsis infection half way across the world. I threw the contents of those containers into a few suitcases and got onto a plane.
Fostering has really thrown my therapeutic organizing for a spin. I do have my trusty Rubbermaid's organized. It hard to put into words but instead of nesting in joyous way I systematical preparing myself for numerous emergencies.

No comments: